Vaginal Mesh Implant Claims

If you have suffered as a result of having a vaginal mesh implant, we could help you claim compensation for the pain you’ve experienced.


Fill in our simple form and get a call back at a time to suit you.
Alternatively our team are on hand 24/7 to discuss your case.
You can call them on:
0800 567 7866

What is a vaginal mesh implant?

Vaginal mesh implants, also known as urogynaecological meshes or transvaginal meshes, are used to prevent stress urinary incontinence (SUI) and pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

It consists of a net-like substance that gives extra support to the weakened or damaged tissues inside the vaginal region. It is inserted by either keyhole or open surgery and becomes a barrier by supporting the tissue to help it grow back over.

Although mesh implants have been used effectively to help women suffering from SUI and POP, there have been major concerns raised by patients and clinicians surrounding the safety of the implants themselves.

NHS England produced The Mesh Working Group interim report in 2015 in response to the concerns raised by patients and clinicians.

What are the issues caused by the mesh implants?

After having the implants put in, many women have suffered internal damage and agonising pain likened to 'razors inside the body'. The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) states that some studies suggest that 15% of women who have had the implant have suffered side effects as a result.

NHS England describes the main symptoms as:

  • A prickling feeling in the vaginal region, made worse by exercise
  • A searing pain in the buttocks or leg area
  • Discomfort during sex
  • Irregular vaginal bleeding or discharge
  • Recurrent or new bladder or bowel symptoms
  • Swelling or pain in the pelvic region

I have these symptoms – what should I do?

You could be able to make a compensation claim if your vaginal mesh surgery took place in the last three years. But you could also claim if it took place before that, and you have only been made aware in the last three years that the mesh has caused your health problems.

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, the first thing we advise is to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Your doctor will assess whether your symptoms are a result of the vaginal mesh implant. They may then refer you to a gynaecologist or urologist for further surgery to stop the symptoms.

You may then want to get in touch with a specialist solicitor about your situation. They can give you free, no-obligation legal advice about whether you can claim compensation for medical negligence.

Can I claim medical negligence for a vaginal mesh implant?

Since the Mesh Working Group interim report came out, many people have realised they are victims of medical negligence. As a result, they’re taking action against the NHS for the pain they have suffered.

If you wish to begin the process of making a vaginal mesh claim, the best thing to do is start as soon as possible.

We understand you will be going through emotional and physical pain. That’s why our expert solicitors are here to help you through this difficult time. They will work to get you the compensation you’re entitled to.

How much compensation could I receive?

Severe injuries caused by vaginal mesh implants can result in large compensation claim amounts, but it’s worth getting in contact with us at First4Lawyers to get a more accurate figure of how much you could receive.

Our compensation calculator gives you an average figure of what kind of payout you could receive.

There are also two types of damages you could receive as a result of your vaginal mesh implant claim. These include general damages and special damages.

General damages usually cover the effect your injury has had on your life. This can include mental health damage.

Special damages cover any financial strains your injury has caused. This can cover any medical expenses you may have had to pay out, as a result of your vaginal mesh implant injury.

How can I pay for my claim?

We offer a No Win No Fee service for medical negligence in England and Wales.

This means you don’t have to worry about the financial costs of getting legal help, as you won’t have to pay anything if your claim is unsuccessful.

If your claim is successful, your solicitor's fees will be settled at the end of the claim so there's nothing to pay upfront. 

So either way, you don’t have to worry about the cost of legal action.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Our No Win No Fee solicitors will take a success fee from the compensation you are awarded for a successful claim in the form of a percentage of your damages. This could be up to 25% but it won't be more than that, except in cases of road traffic accidents and housing disrepair. Changing laws mean our solicitors will now take a payment of 35% of the final compensation amount plus VAT for all road traffic accident and housing disrepair claims.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.

What can First4Lawyers do to help?

We can take the stress out of making a claim. We only work with expert solicitors, who will work hard to get you the compensation you’re entitled to.

You can start your claim online or just give our expert advisors a call.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing