How to Report and Claim for an Accident at Work

We know that if you’ve had an accident at work it can be a very worrying time.

If your accident was serious you may need to take a lengthy period of time off work, which we know can be troubling and stressful.

There may also be a perceived stigma surrounding making a claim for an accident at work, with some worrying they may lose their job as a result, but there are laws in place to protect you. 

How to report an accident at work

  1. Record what has happened in the accident book at your work. A manager may be required to record this for you, but it will help you to make a claim whenever you feel able.
  2. If you need hospital treatment, make sure you tell the hospital or doctor how it happened so that they can record any details you may later forget.
  3. Once you feel able, take the details of any witnesses who may have seen your accident or what caused it to happen. If your accident was caused by a defect, it may also be beneficial to take photographs of this
  4. Contact First4Lawyers, and let us find a specialist solicitor to deal with your case in a reliable and friendly manner. We know that it can be daunting to make a claim, but our solicitors will be there every step of the way to make the process as easy as possible for you.

Before you start a claim for an accident at work

There are some things that you should bear in mind before starting a claim for an accident at work to give yourself the best chance of success with your case:

  • Time limits
    Generally, claims for accidents at work should be made within three years, but the sooner you claim the better as the incident will be fresh in the memories of witnesses, and yourself.
  • Try to gather evidence
    The more evidence you have to support your claim the better. This can be in the form of witness reports, photographs or recording your injury in the accident book at work.

How long does an accident at work claim take?

Each case is unique, some cases may takes weeks to sort, whilst others may take months or years.

A solicitor may be able to give you a better indication of how long your claim may take, but it will also depend on whether your place of work admits liability or whether your case needs to go to court.

However, if you’re suffering financially during the period of your claim then your solicitor can obtain an interim payment, which is a part payment of your claim whilst it’s ongoing.

More about accident at work claims


Note: First4Lawyers offers this information as guidance, not advice. Before taking any action, you should seek professional assistance tailored to your personal circumstances and not rely on First4Lawyers’ online information alone.


Fill in our simple form and
get a call back at a time to suit you.

Or talk to our team on :

0808 256 2340

By submitting an enquiry to First4Lawyers you agree to the terms and conditions of service as outlined in our Privacy Policy.

Get in touch today - we can help with your claim 08005677866

It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing