Hit and Run Accident Claims

If you’ve been the victim of a hit and run road accident, we could help you through the process of making a claim.


Fill in our simple form and get a call back at a time to suit you.
Alternatively our team are on hand 24/7 to discuss your case.
You can call them on:
0800 567 7866

Making a hit and run accident claim

If you’ve been hurt in a road traffic accident that was caused by someone who didn’t stop, you’ve been involved in a hit and run accident.

You may not know whether it’s possible to make a compensation claim for your injuries if you don’t know who caused your accident. But there are laws and systems in place to compensate innocent victims of hit and run accidents.

Whether you were also in a car or you were a pedestrian, you could be able to make a claim for compensation.

What to do after a hit and run accident

After being hit by a driver who does not stop, there are certain actions you must take. First, stop your car somewhere safe. Don’t follow the driver who hit you. It is an offence not to stop after an accident, even if you did not cause it.

If you can, get the number plate of the car that hit you, as well as the make and model of the vehicle and the direction it was travelling in. This will help when tracking down the driver. Any dash cam footage will be helpful when pursuing a claim against the person who hit you.

After an accident, make sure you’re checked over medically. You might need to call the emergency services or make an appointment with your GP – just ensure you get seen quickly. Some conditions can be made worse if they’re not treated as soon as possible.

You’ll also have to call the police. All car accidents must be reported to the police within 24 hours, so it’s best to do so as soon as you are able to. The police will give you a crime number, which can form part of your evidence when making a claim.

At the scene of the accident, try to get as many contact details of witnesses as possible. You should also take photos of any damage to your car and any injuries you’ve suffered. Your solicitor can use this to put together a strong case for you.

Who pays compensation in a hit and run accident?

The organisation responsible for paying out your compensation for a successful hit and run claim will depend on whether the driver of the car that hit you was identified. If they were, your solicitor will make a claim against their insurer.

If the driver remained unidentified or if they were not insured at the time of the accident, you will then claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). The organisation serves as the UK’s way of compensating these accident victims and is funded through car insurance premiums.

It is possible to claim directly through the MIB. However, a specialist personal injury solicitor will help to ensure you are presenting the strongest possible case, with the best evidence behind you.

How much compensation will I receive?

Every accident and resulting injury is different. That means that without speaking to you directly, it’s difficult to say exactly what you might be entitled to. For a rough idea of what you might receive in compensation, though, you can try our compensation calculator.

Compensation for a successful claim will be split into general damages and special damages. General damages are awarded for the pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of your accident.

Special damages compensate for any financial impact the injury has had on you. It covers the cost of any medical treatment, any loss of earnings if you can’t work and any personal property that was damaged in the accident.

Your solicitor will be able to tell you how much compensation you might entitled to. So if you think you have a claim for a hit and run accident, get in touch with First4Lawyers and we will match you to an expert No Win No Fee solicitor.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Where we offer No Win No Fee services for road traffic accident claims typically customers pay 35% + VAT of the amount recovered by our solicitors.

Success fees are common practice and they were introduced when the law changed in April 2013. This amount is higher than the normal 25% on all other personal injury claims because of changes introduced through the Civil Liability Act 2018.

Hit and Run Accident Compensation Calculator

Calculate your compensation in 4 easy steps...

To start your compensation calculation, please select the affected area of your body...

Now isolate the area of your body that was injured...

Choose the type of injury...

  • In these cases brain damage, if any, will be minimal.
  • Where a good recovery has been made but symptoms such as poor concentration and memory problems continue.
  • Where ability to work is reduced and there is a risk of epilepsy.
  • The injured person is very seriously disabled and is dependent on others.
  • Epilepsy has been caused as a consequence of the injury.
  • Affecting the ability to cope with life and/or work or affecting relationships with family and friends.
  • The injured person largely recovers within two years.
  • Injury causes effects that cause significant disability for the foreseeable future, or permanently.
  • In consequence of defective permanent waving etc. where effects are dermatitis or hair loss leading to distress and effects on social life.
  • Where hair has been pulled out leaving bald patches, or stress-induced alopecia with full recovery within two years.
  • Resulting in pain and temporary interference with vision.
  • Permanent impairment of vision in one or both eyes.
  • Total loss of sight in one eye and reduced vision or other problems with the other eye
  • Total loss of sight in one eye only.
  • Mild tinnitus with some hearing loss
  • With noise induced hearing loss, or moderate to severe tinnitus, or noise induced hearing loss alone.
  • With noise induced hearing loss
  • With or without associated problems such as tinnitus, dizziness or headaches.
  • With or without the speech being affected, or tinnitus.
  • Full recovery with no surgery required.
  • Where recovery is complete after surgery
  • Injuries requiring a number of operations and/or resulting in permanent damage.
  • Simple fracture of the cheekbone, which will fully recover without surgery.
  • Simple fracture of the cheekbone requiring some reconstructive surgery, but with full recovery and little or no cosmetic effects.
  • Serious fractures causing lasting effects such as burning/prickling sensation or an element of disfigurement.
  • Requiring immobilisation but recovery is complete.
  • Serious injury causing permanent damage, such as difficulty eating or opening the mouth.
  • Very serious multiple fractures requiring prolonged treatment. Permanent effects such as severe pain, restricted eating.
  • Assessed per tooth.
  • Single tooth only.
  • Extends over a number of years, including significant deterioration of overall condition of the teeth.
  • Where full recovery takes place between nine months and one year.
  • Fractures or dislocations which cause severe immediate symptoms and chronic conditions, leading to impaired function or limitation of activities.
  • Injuries usually involving serious fractures or disc damage leading to disability, such as substantial loss of movement or loss of function in one or more limbs.
  • Caused by asbestos
  • Varying levels of respiratory disability and reduced lung function (1-10% and in excess of 10%)
  • Severe pain and impairment of the pleura (lung lining) or the peritoneum (lining of the abdominal cavity), affecting function and quality of life.
  • Causing respiratory disability attributed to asbestos exposure.
  • Causing permanent damage, impairment of function, physical disability and reduction of life expectancy.
  • Such as soft tissue damage causing considerable pain but recovery almost complete within two years.
  • Such as frozen shoulder causing limitation of movement and discomfort for up to two years.
  • Causing pain in shoulder and neck, aching in elbow, weakness of arm and hand.
  • Involving damage to the brachial plexus and resulting in significant disability.
  • Temporary or permanent disability as a result of a fracture.
  • Such as strains, sprains, disc prolapses and soft tissue injuries.
  • Such as disturbances of ligaments and muscles causing backache, or compression fracture.
  • Injuries causing severe pain and disability, including impaired bladder, bowel and sexual function.
  • Resulting in significant or permanent disability
  • Most elbow injuries such as simple fractures, laceration and tennis elbow, not resulting in permanent damage or impairment.
  • Injuries causing impairment of function but not involving major surgery or significant disabilty
  • Injuries such as deep lacerations, soft tissue wounds or crush injuries, all recovering within six months.
  • Resulting in impairment of grip or reduced mechanical function. Partial amputations resulting in deformity.
  • Injuries such as a thumb being severed and re-attached, leaving it with little use, amputation of the tip or at the joint of the thumb. Nerve damage or fracture resulting in impaired grip or dexterity.
  • Amputation resulting in very little use and weak grip.
  • Amputation due to crush injuries, or loss of a significant part of the hand due to traumatic injury.
  • Serious injury resulting in extensive damage to both hands, effectively leaving them with little use.
  • Caused by repeated vibration, damage to hands including impaired grip, dexterity and frequent pain.
  • Such as an uncomplicated fracture with full or virtual recovery.
  • Injuries resulting in significant permanent disability, but some useful movement remains.
  • Injuries causing some permanent disability, such as persistent pain and stiffness.
  • Resulting in complete loss of function in the wrist, for example when an arthrodesis has been performed.
  • Such as a broken femur, tibia or fibular
  • Serious fracture or injuries to joints or ligaments, scarring, instability and lengthy treatment required.
  • Fractures where a full recovery is not made.
  • Loss of a leg below the knee
  • Loss of a leg above the knee
  • Both legs being lost above the knee, below the knee, or where one leg has been lost above the knee and the other below.
  • Torn cartilage or meniscus, laceration, twisting and bruising. May be full recovery, or continued aches and pains.
  • Injury or damage causing mild disability or continuing pain, discomfort or limited movement that may require future surgery.
  • Fractures, joint or ligament damage causing constant pain, impairing movement and agility. Requiring prolonged treatment, the injured person will be prone to osteoarthritis.
  • Including fractures where there is full recovery within two years.
  • Significant injury but any permanent disability is not major. Injury may require a hip replacement.
  • Such as extensive fractures resulting in substantial disabilities.
  • Simple metatarsal fractures, ruptured ligaments.
  • Displaced metatarsal fractures resulting in permanent deformity.
  • Fractures to feet resulting in restricted mobility and /or considerable continuing pain.
  • Crush or multiple fractures to two or more toes, resulting in permanent disability.
  • Undisplaced fractures, sprains and ligament injuries.
  • For fractures and ligament tears resulting in moderate disability, such as difficulty walking on uneven ground or on stairs.
  • Injuries involving long periods of treatment, long period in plaster and some permanent disability.

Simply fill in our form below and we’ll call you back at a time to suit you.

Or talk to our team on:
0808 271 6198

There are other types of compensation you could be awarded through your accident such as loss of earnings or damage to property. The estimates given here are simply for your personal injury claim.

First4Lawyers' solicitors will be able to give you the best idea of the amount you should expect from your individual injury.

It is important to keep in mind that every case is different and the advice and estimates you'll be given, once your case has started, will be tailored specifically for your case.

What evidence do I need to make a hit and run accident claim?

A police report can be particularly strong evidence when proving that you were not responsible for the accident. So make sure you inform the police about your accident as soon as you can.

Medical evidence is also particularly important. Your solicitor will likely arrange for you to have an assessment by a medical expert, who will evaluate how serious your injury is, as well as the effect it is likely to have on you.

If your accident took place within the vicinity of a CCTV camera, you might be able to access the footage. Requesting a copy could be easier the sooner you do it, so don’t delay.

How long do I have to make a hit and run claim?

In most road accident cases, you’ll have three years in which to make a compensation claim. The rules can be different for some, though. For example, children can claim at any point up until their 21st birthday and there is no deadline for anyone claiming on behalf of someone who lacks the capacity to claim for themselves.

If you’re not sure whether you have a claim, just get in touch. Our friendly and understanding claims advisors will help you work out the best course of action for your situation – for free and with no obligation to go ahead.

To find out how we can help you make a hit and run claim, just give us a call, request a call back or start your claim online.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing