Slip, Trip or Fall

A slip, trip or fall can lead to serious injuries. If you’ve fallen because of the negligence of a person or organisation, you could claim compensation.


Fill in our simple form and get a call back at a time to suit you.
Alternatively our team are on hand 24/7 to discuss your case.
You can call them on:
0800 567 7866

Can I get compensation for a slip, trip or fall?

Slips, trips and falls are often thought of as minor accidents. But in the worst cases, they can result in serious injuries such as broken bones or even head injuries.

If you’ve been injured after suffering a slip, trip or fall, you could be entitled to compensation and support. Whether your accident was caused by uneven paving, poor lighting or an unmarked wet floor, our solicitors could help you bring a claim.

We offer a free no obligation consultation where we’ll discuss your situation with you and let you know if you could have a strong case. To find out more, get in touch with our friendly and knowledgeable claims team.

Who is responsible for a slip, trip or fall?

Who your claim is brought against will depend on where and how your accident happened.

In the UK, slips, trips and falls are the leading cause of accidents at work. In 2021/22, they accounted for 30% of non-fatal workplace injuries. Meanwhile, falls from height made up 8% of work-related accidents.

If you’ve been injured in a slip, trip or fall at work, your employer could be held responsible for your pain and suffering. This will apply if they did not take reasonable measures to protect you under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

But workplaces aren’t the only place you might slip, trip or fall. Unfortunately, they can happen in almost any public space – from gyms to supermarkets, restaurants to museums. In these instances, a claim would usually be brought against the organisation’s insurer.

If you suffer an injury after tripping on an uneven pavement or falling on broken steps, your claim would likely be made against the local council that is responsible for maintaining these areas.

It isn’t always immediately clear who a slip, trip or fall claim should be made against. But part of a personal injury solicitor’s role is to identify who should be held accountable for your injury. So you don’t need to worry if you’re not completely sure .

Our claims advisors can provide more information on the process of making a claim. If you think you might have a case, give us a call to find out how we could help.

How can First4Lawyers help?

We work with expert slip, trip and fall lawyers who are here to help you through the claims process. They will strive to get you the compensation and justice you deserve, as well as helping you to access support for your recovery.

At First4Lawyers, we know that the lasting effects of your injury won’t disappear when the claims process is over. Our solicitors will prioritise your wellbeing at every stage and put you in touch with experts who can help with your rehabilitation – even after your case is finalised.

For these types of claims, we work on a No Win No Fee basis. This means there will be nothing to pay upfront and no legal fees to cover if your case is unsuccessful.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Our No Win No Fee solicitors will take a success fee from the compensation you are awarded for a successful claim in the form of a percentage of your damages. This could be up to 25% but it won't be more than that, except in cases of road traffic accidents and housing disrepair. Changing laws mean our solicitors will now take a payment of 35% of the final compensation amount plus VAT for all road traffic accident and housing disrepair claims.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.

Slip, trip and fall claim FAQs

What is the average payout for a slip, trip or fall?

The amount of compensation you could claim after a slip, trip or fall accident will depend on your unique situation.

If your claim is successful, your compensation will take into account the circumstances of your accident, the severity of your injury and how much of an impact it is expected to have on your life.

Your settlement will also consider any financial losses related to your injuries. This could be lost earnings if you’ve had to take time off work to recover, or the cost of further medical treatment.

For a rough idea of what your claim could be worth, try our free compensation calculator.

Can I make a slip, trip or fall claim for someone else?

If your loved one has suffered a serious injury as a result of a slip, trip or fall, it may not be possible for them to bring a claim themselves.

Sadly, it’s not uncommon for people to suffer brain or head trauma as a result of these types of injuries. And in these instances, it may possible for someone else to bring a claim on their behalf as a litigation friend.

This will also apply if you’re looking to act on behalf of a child who has been injured in a slip, trip or fall accident.

In the most tragic cases, slips, trips and falls can be fatal. In these cases, it may be possible to make a claim on behalf of the person who has passed away. While this won’t take away the pain of losing your loved one, it could help to lift some of the financial pressure you may be facing.

How long do I have to make a slip, trip or fall claim?

In the majority of slip, trip and fall cases, you’ll have three years to make a claim from the date of the accident. Although this may sound like a long time, it’s always a good idea to start your claim as soon as possible.

This could make the process of accessing evidence more straightforward, further strengthening your claim. For instance, many organisations will delete CCTV footage after 30 days, so speaking to a legal expert early will increase your chances of securing footage of the accident before it’s removed.

If you’re making a claim on behalf of someone who is lacking mental capacity, there won’t be a time limit applied to your case. And if you’re taking legal action for a child, you will have until their 18th birthday to do this.

You can find out more about the time limits surrounding personal injury claims in our free guide.

I think I have a claim – what should I do?

It may sound obvious but the most important thing to do after suffering a slip, trip or fall injury is to seek the opinion of a medical professional. It’s not uncommon for injuries to appear later on after the initial shock wears off, so we would always suggest seeing a doctor if you haven’t already.

After this, you could think about making a claim for compensation. Our advisors are here to answer any questions you may have on the process of making a claim, so you can feel confident going forward.

If we’re able to help you, we’ll ask if you’d like to speak to one of our expert solicitors. This decision will be completely up to you, and we’ll never pressure you either way.

To find out more, get in touch with us on the number at the top of the screen, request a callback or start your claim online with our quick and easy claims form.

Why choose First4Lawyers?

Whether you want to make an accident and injury claim, or need a solicitor for personal or business law matters - our friendly team are here to help, 24/7.

Free initial consultation

Our fully trained legal advisors are happy to offer initial guidance and advice for free

No Win No Fee*

No Win No Fee solicitors - you don't pay a penny up front when making a claim

No pressure

We offer advice with no obligation.  We never cold-call or apply pressure to our customers


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing